Profile photo of Gio Fernandez

Target these 2 "Low Floor High Ceiling" Options

February 21, 2018 at 6:57 pm

For years I would evaluate players based on their “floor” and “ceiling.” Recently, I have been evaluating players simply on their ceiling and disregarding their floor. This has opened up the opportunity to target some players that others may be fearful of. Here are two players you should not be afraid to go after this year because of their “low floor,” but rather focus on their “high ceiling.”

1) Ian Happ – Chicago
Happ had 24 HR and 68 RBI in 115 GP last year. Yes, in his low-20s as a rookie he batted .253, and had a .514 SLG and .328 OBP. Focus on the positives. Cubs have a stacked lineup, and Happ should only develop heading into his 2nd season. If last year is any indication for this year’s expectations, we can presume 30+ HR and 90+ RBI. Who wouldn’t take that?

2) Joey Gallo – Texas
This is the definition of “big risk big reward.” He will probably fall in a few drafts given his dreadful efficiency categories. But he’s only his in early/mid 20s, 4th MLB season (2nd full season). While batting sub .210 in 2017 he still managed 40+ HR and 80 RBI. What if he can just bat .250? Those power numbers only go up. He might be one of the cheapest 40+ HR guys you can get in this year’s draft with an overall ranking in the 140s and being drafted in the 12-15 round range.

Don’t be afraid to go after these guys in this year’s draft. They can help you more than you think.

3 comments to this topic | Share:

Profile photo of S Hunt
Posted 21 February 2018

You are literally throwing away all efficiency cats, punting more than you gain. If you take too many of these types of players it will bite you in the ass.

Profile photo of Arnold
Posted 21 February 2018

Profile photo of Vince
Posted 22 February 2018

I like Happ more.

Add Comment

Browse.. No file selected.

Join DraftingSleepers Today!

Strategize with other fantasy players to help win your league.

Create a new account

DraftingSleepers is proudly SSL certified to protect your personal information.